The EuroScience Open Forum (ESOF) is a biennial, pan-European, general science conference dedicated to scientific research and innovation. Each conference aims to deliver stimulating content and lively debate around the latest advancements and discoveries in the sciences, humanities and social sciences.
The ESOF2020 conference will be held in the extraordinary area of the Old Port (Porto Vecchio),
which had been for decades the commercial port of the Austro-Hungarian
Empire and is now an outstanding architectural and industrial heritage
site that the Trieste Municipality is redeveloping and requalifying.
- ESOF2020 Trieste generally aims to:
- PROMOTE science, technology and innovation as key drivers of a sustainable and responsible development that is people-centered;
- STIMULATE discussions concerning science, its applications and impact, including ethical issues;
- ESTABLISH a platform where the dialogue between research institutions, academies and governments is fostered.
ESOF2020 Trieste also has more specific goals:
- TO STRENGTHEN a scientific and technological network among the Central Eastern European countries, the existing Trieste Science System and the rest of Europe.
- TO INTEGRATE AND CONNECT this network within the Mediterranean, North Africa and Central Asia;
- TO CREATE a museum dedicated to Science and Technology and its dissemination.
- The mission of Trieste as City of Science will continue after ESOF, through the creation of a science center, The North Adriatic Science and Technology Centre, and an independent, multidisciplinary, non-profit Summer Institute aimed at fostering dialogue among scientists, entrepreneurs, policy makers and citizens, involving stakeholders from Central-Eastern Europe and the Balkans.